Elga Ceramic Backing is used to provide root pass
support when welding from one side only and is
an extremely effective way to rationalise welding
procedures and reduce production costs. Welding
of root passes is normally the most critical part of
the weld and hence the most costly. By using Elga
ceramic backing, you can reduce production costs
Benefits with Elga Ceramic Backing
Reduced production costs:
• Eliminates the need for back-gouging, grinding
and rewelding operations on the reverse side.
• Significant savings in costs associated with
turning large and heavy plates or structures
in order to weld the second side in the flat
• Increased productivity when welding root runs
in position 1G/PA, 2G/PC and 3G/PF.
• Simpler joint preparation and reduced set-up
time because tolerances for the root gap are
• Use of higher welding currents, which means
higher deposition rates and increased productivity.
Typical examples of ceramic backing applications.
Useful tips when using Elga Ceramic Backing
• Use relatively low current/welding speed.
For Elgacore < 200A and < 200 mm/min, for
Cromacore < 160A.
• Smooth, even root bead with slightly convex
profile and excellent blend-in with base
• Dirt, mill scale, coatings and other contamination to be removed from the joint faces before
• The ceramic material does not emit fumes and
contains no moisture. Ideal for low-hydrogen
• When welding in enclosed spaces the working environment is not polluted by fumes
from arc-air gouging, grinding and rewelding
• End craters should be fully ground out.
• Maximum 1 m root run at a time, before next